Dr. Samanmali Sumanasena
MBBS(Col), DCH(Col), MD(Paed), MRCPCH(UK), MSc
Senior Lecturer in Paediatrics, Department of Paediatrics
PHONE : +94 11-2695300
Senior Lecturer in Paediatrics
Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
Honorary Consultant Paediatrician, Professorial Neonatal unit, De Soyza Hospital
for Women, Colombo and Professorial Paediatric Unit, Lady Ridgeway Hospital for
Children, Colombo, Sri Lanka (Special interest: Childhood Disabilities)
Assistant Secretary: Sri Lanka Medical Association 2010
Advanced Paeditric Life Support courses held in year 2010 by the Sri Lanka college
AWARDS RECEIVED FOR SCIENTIFIC COMMINICATIONS AT CONFERENCES
1. Baranage DGI., Basnayaka S., Senanayaka HM., Sumanasena SP., Long term,
neurodevelopmental outcome of pre term babies. Annual Scientific Sessions
College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of Sri Lanka. 2010. First runners up for
the best scientific paper.
2. Sumanasena SP, Kuruppu S, Weeragalle WAJ, Mallawarachchi ST, Baranage
DGI, Basnayaka S, A comparative study on administration of parenteral nutrition
to preterm newborns. Annual Scientific Sessions Sri Lanka College of
Paediatricians. 2010. Second runners up for the best scientific paper.
3. De Silva K S H, Fernando S, Gajamange S F N, Sumanasena SP. Value of stool
microscopy in predicting a bacterial aetiology in watery or mucoid diarrhoea,
Proceedings of The Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians, Annual Scientific
Congress:1999; 1:44 (Awarded Prof. A. Ibrahim Price for the best paper in
community based study at the annual scientific sessions 1999)
A contributing author to Children affected by disaster; post tsunami perspective
2005:a book on medical knowledge, practical experiences and humanitarian
perspectives of natural disasters. Author and publisher Manouri P. Sennayake.
Essentials of Family Practice; chapter on Fever in Infancy and Childhood. Author
Antoinette Perera and John Murtagh.
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
1. Kudalugoda Arachchi J, Sumanasena SP, de Silva KSH.Clinical examination in
paediatrics at final MBBS:views of children and their parents. The Ceylon
Medical Journal : 2003 ;48:12.
2. Amaratunge S, Sumanasena SP, Hubert HDM, Senanayake MP.Blood lead levels
of children living near Borella junction. The Ceylon Medical Journal
3. Senanayake MP, Samarakkody RP, Sumanasena SP, Kudalugodaarachchi J,
Jasinghe SR, Hettiarchchi A.P., A relational analysis of acute wheezing and air
pollution. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health: 2001;30: 66-68.
1. Senanayake MP, Kuruppu KS, Sumanasena SP, Lamabadusuriya SP,
Hyperhaemolyisis syndrome in Haemoglobin E/ beta thalassaemia responding to
cyclophosphamide therapy. Ceylon medical journal, 2008; Vol 53, No 4, 117-
3. Sumanasena SP, Lamabadusuriya SP. Child with cerebrospinal fluid rhinorhoea
complicated by recurrent meningitis. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health, 2005; 34:
5. Senanayake MP, Sumanasena SP. Dancing eyes dancing feet syndrome. The
Ceylon Medical Journal:2004; 49:133.
7. Senanayake MP, Ajanthan R, Sumanasena SP, Lamabadusuriya SP. A mediastinal
tumour that disappeared and reappeared. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health :
9. de Silva J.R.S., Sumanasena S.P.,Wilegoda M.S.S., Arulmoly S.K., Shigellosis
non responsive to “sensitive” antibiotics. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health;
COMMUNICATIONS AT SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS PUBLISHED AS ABSTRACTS
1. Abeywickrama SP, Jayasinghe IK, Sumanasena SP; Environmental influences on
participation in learning at schools; views of Sri Lankan children with
disabilities; International Conference on Education for All, University of
Warsaw,Warsaw, Poland, September 2009, panel discussion.
2. Sumansena SP, Sampan SR, Arulmoli K, Wickenden M,Meeting the needs of
children with disabilities in Sri Lanka; 25th Annual Pacific Rim Conference
On Disabilties, University of Hawai’i, April, 2009, oral presentation.
3. Sumanasena SP, Wasala R,de Silva SL, Perera I, Soodin A.Late Onset
Hypoventilation Syndrome with Hypothalamic Dysfunction. Third
International Meeting on Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome, Sestri
Lavente, Italy, September 2007. Oral Presentation.
4. Sumanasena SP, Gunawardena N, Dilanka WS, Dissanayake B, de Silva KSH,
Neurodevelopmental attainments of school children with congenital
hypothyroidism. Annual Scientific Sessions Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians.
5. Sumanasena SP, Kuruppu S., Weeragalle WAJ., Mallawarachchi ST., Short term
outcome of babies with surfactant deficient respiratory distress syndrome. Annual
Scientific Sessions of the Perinatal Society of Sri Lanka, 2010.
6. Sumanasena SP, Sampan S, Arulmoli K, Wickenden M, A service provision
model based on views of families and service providers for children with
disabilities, Annual Scientific Sessions, Sri Lanka Medical Association, 2010.
7. Sumanasena SP, Senanayake M, Vithanage K, Senanayake MP. Tip of the
Iceberg: Availability of Services for Children with Disabilities Presenting to LRH,
Colombo. Proceedings of the Sri Lanka College of Paeditricians, Annual
Scientific Congress 2008.
8. Fernandopulle,B.M.R., Sathiadas M.G., Sumanasena S.P. ,Lamabadusuriya S.P.,
Risk of Fulminant Hepatic Failure with the Use of Paracetamol , Proceedings of
the Sri Lanka College of Paeditricians, Annual Scientific Congress: 2002
9. de Silva SL, Sumanasena SP, Wilegoda MSS. Is Paracetamol prescribed in
supratherapeutic doses? Proceedings of the Sri Lanka College of Paeditricians,
Annual Scientific Congress: 2001.
10. Mahamitawa UD, Sumanasena SP.Primary vesico ureteric reflux: a prospective
study. Proceedings of the Sri Lanka College of Paeditricians, Annual Scientific
11. Senanayake M P, Sumansena S P, Amaratunga S, Hubert HMD. Is Lead Exposure
Affecting Neuro Development of Urban Children in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the
Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians, Annual Scientific Congress: 2000;2:47.
12. Senanayake, M. P., Samarakkody, R. P., Jayasena, S. R., Sumansena, S. P.;
Association between Ambient air pollution and acute child hood wheezy episodes
in Colombo. 5th Annual Forestry & Environment Symposium;1999.
13. Senanayake MP, Amaratunga S, Hubert HMDN, Sumansena S P. Is Colombo
choking it's children. Proceedings of the Sri Lanka College of Paeditricians,
Annual Scientific Congress: 1999,1,53.
14. De Silva K S H, Fernando S, Gajamange S F N, Sumansena S P. Audit of the use
of antibiotics in watery / mucoid diarrhoea at admission to hospital. Proceedings
of the Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians, Annual scientific Congress:1999;1:42.
15. De Silva G I , Aloysius R A D, Sumanasena S P , Lamabadusooriya S P. How
capable are parents in home management of fever in childhood . Proceedings of
the Sri Lanka College of Paeditricians, Annual Scientific Congress 1998;1: 58-59.
25th Annual Pacific Rim Conference on Disability. Pre conference event; International
Forum, Regional perspectives on Poverty and Disability
1. Developmental assessment in the first year; Pre-congress workshop on
Detection and management of developmental disorders organised by the Sri Lanka
College of Paediatricians; 2011.
2. Children with disabilities what can we do for them? Invited lecturer at the Joint
sessions of Sri Lanka Medical Association and the District Clinical Society
(Kaluthara) clinical meeting, August 2010.
3. ICF in the Sri Lankan Context. Presented at the Festchrift in tribute to Prof S. P.
Lamabadusuriya at the University of Colombo November 2008.
4. SLMA, Joint academic Session with Ratnapura Clinical Society, Lecture on
Management of Rheumatic Fever, August 2007.
5. Sewwandika a child with hypothalamic dysfunction and late onset central
hypoventilation syndrome , a case presentation at Sri Jayawardenapura General
Hospital at an interactive lecture series in accident emergency and critical care
medicine conducted by Dr. Malcolm Wright Consultant in Intensive Care,
Brisbane, Australia –May 2004
6. Sewwandika a child with hypothalamic dysfunction and late onset central
hypoventilation syndrome case presentation at monthly clinical meeting at Sri
Jayawardenapura General Hospital – May 2004
7. My child’s eyes are droopy case presentation on a child with acquired
Myasthenia Gravis at the neurology update conducted by Dr. Nalleinathan
Consultant Paediatric Neurologist, USA ,held at Lady Ridgeway hospital for
children – February 2004
8. A child with an intersex disorder a case presentation, conducted by Prof. Garry
Warne Senior Consultant Endocrinologist, Royal Children’s Hospital, Australia,
held at Lady Ridgeway hospital for children –September 2002
9. Early detection and intervention; a guide to the field workers. A training
workshop for public health midwives and doctors at the divisional medical officer
of health office (Kotte): November 2010.
10. Child development and early intervention. A series of lectures for the post
graduate trainees of the nursing training school, Colombo. September 2010.
11. A child with impairments; detection and management. A lecture for students
from the College of General Practitioners of Sri Lanka. February 2010.
12. Early childhood care and development, awareness programme for preschool
teachers, conducted by the divisional secretariat, Colombo. Lecture on Early
child hood development, October 2009.
13. Awareness programme for parents with special needs, A workshop conducted by
the KosalaDuleewa Foundation, Resource person on health and medical needs of
children with disabilities, August 2009.
14. Training programme on Inclusive education for preschool teachers, conducted
by the Child guidance centre, Maharagama, , Department of Social Services.
Workshop on identification of childhood impairments and disabilities, 2007,
2008, 2009, 2010.
15. Paediatric emergencies course, conducted by the SLCP, lecture on Critical
analysis of research material, October 2009.
16. Paediatric perspective on prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of
HIV. A work shop on prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV in Sri
Lanka, organized by the Co- ordinating Committee on Reproductive Research
Health, Colombo Task Force, September 2009.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
Member - Royal College of Paediatricians, UK
1. Life Member –Sri Lanka College of Paediatricians
Sri Lanka Medical Association
2. Member: Expert Steering Committee on National Programme for Children with
Special Care Needs of Sri Lanka
3. Member: Working group on Disability: Sri Lanka Medical Association
4. Member: Working group on child development, Sri Lanka College of
5. Member: Steering committee on ensuring quality of preschool education,
Ministry of Education.
6. Member: Steering committee on Annual Scientific Sessions 2010 - Disability
7. Convenor: Growth and Development module for undergraduate training at the
Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
PAST POSITIONS HELD IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS/ORGANISATIONS
Assistant Secretary: Sri Lanka Medical Association 2010