Professor Priyadarshani Galappatthy
M.B.,B.S. (Col),MD(Col), MRCP(UK), FCCP, DipMedTox(Cardiff)
Head of Department of Pharmacology, Professor in Pharmacology, and Specialist in General Medicine
Gender : Female
Civil Status : Married
PHONE: 00 94 - 112689483
FAX : 00 94 - 112689483
Clinical trials, Bioequivalence studies, Quality assurance of Pharmaceuticals, Rational use of medicines, adverse drug reactions, Toxicology, Systemic Lupus erythematosus and related autoimmune disease, Medical education
Graduated with a second class honours upper division pass with distinction in Paediatrics from Colombo Medical Faculty in 1991 and joined the Department of Pharmacology as lecturer in 1993, Obtained MD in General Medicine in 1997 with board certification as a specialist in General Medicine in 1999. Had training in Clinical Pharmacology and Medicine and at the North Staffordshire University Hospital, UK. Passed the MRCP, from Royal
College of Physicians of London in 2000 and obtained Diploma in Medical Toxicology from University of Wales College of Medicine in Cardiff and full registration of General Medical Council, UK. Received the fellowship of Ceylon College of Physicians in 2011 and the fellowship of Royal College of Physicians of London in 2013.
Instrumental in starting the University Lupus Clinic with Professor of Medicine professor Rezvi Sheriff in 1996 in the University Medical Unit in National Hospital Sri Lanka for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and worked as a consultant physician of the Lupus clinic from 2002- 2010. A member of the editorial Board of The Sri Lanka Prescriber from 1993 and has been the honorary editorial secretary for over 15 years. Accredited as a teacher in Higher education by the Staff and Education Development Association (SEDA) in the United Kingdom and following a certificate course in medical education in University of Dundee. Plays a key role in developing a post graduate training in clinical Pharmacology at the PGIM. Has, held office as chairperson, secretary, member of many committees and Boards of study in Medical Faculty, PGIM, SLMA and Ministry of Health.
In 2010 spent sabbatical leave as a specialty doctor in clinical research at the Highland Clinical Research Facility, of University of Highlands and Islands and NHS Highlands, in Scotland, UK, involving as a sub-investigator for many international multicenter clinical trials. Has experience as a Principal investigator and sub investigator for many international clinical trials both in Sri Lanka and in UK in areas of SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Delivered many guest lectures on invitation for SLMA, many academic Colleges, WHO and International Society of Drug Bulletins. Delivered SC Paul oration of SLMA in 2009, John Autian oration of Society of Pharmacovigilance of India in 2007 and Senaka Bibile oration in 2011. Has presented and published many papers at local and international conferences and journals in areas of SLE, Clinical Pharmacology, toxicology and medical education.
Has received research grants of over 30 million to develop a laboratory for conduct of bioequivalence studies in the University of Colombo and for infra structure development and the conduct of clinical trials.
At present supervising 3 MPhil/PhD students registered at RHDC. Currently the head of Department f Pharmacology and Pharmacy and member of senate of University of Colombo.
1. Certified as Specialist in General Medicine in Post Graduate Institute of Medicine of University of Colombo with effect from 15th August 1999
2. Accredited as a teacher in Higher education by the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) in the United Kingdom – September 1998
3. Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education by University of Colombo – October 1998
4. Full registration in the General Medical Council in UK with licence to practice : from 2003 :GMC Reference No : 5203541
5. Registration in Sri Lanka Medical Council – from 2003 and inclusion of name in the list of specialists under category of General Medicine : SLMC Reg No 10387
Details of academic qualifications:
Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
1. Head of the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy – from April 2011
2. Professor in Pharmacology – Effective from November 2009
3. Member of the Ethical Review Committee (ERC) - from 2006
4. Member, clinical trials subcommittee of ERC- from 2009
5. Editorial Board member and The Sri Lanka Presciber - from 1993
6. Member Curriculum Development and Evaluation Committee – from 2004
7. Member of library committee - From 2005
8. Member, Medical Students Financial Assistance Scheme- from 1998
Post Graduate Institute of Medicine (PGIM)
1. Member - Specialty Board in Clinical Pharmacology of PGIM from - 2009
2. Member – Board of study in Medical Toxicology of PGIM –from 2007
University of Colombo
1. Member of senate – from August 2011
Ministry of Health
1. Member clinical Trials subcommittee of the Cosmetics Devices and drugs Authority (CDDA) – from 2008
2. Member core group for revision of approved list of drugs of the Medical Supplies Division of Ministry of Health – from 2008
3. Member, committee for revision of essential medicines list, CDDA, Ministry of Health – 2012
4. Member, committee on rational use of medicines, CDDA, Ministry of Health- from 2012
5. Member neutraceuticals committee of CDDA, Ministry of Health – from 2009
6. Honorary consultant clinical Pharmacologist for evaluation of drugs submitted for registration to the CDDA from 2002
7. Member Drugs committee of National Hospital of Sri Lanka from 2002
Professional Associations and Colleges
1. Member of Sri Lanka Medical Association (SLMA) drugs committee from 1998
2. Council member Allergy and Immunology Association of Sri Lanka - from 2013
Ceylon Medical College Council (CMCC)
1. Member of CMCC as head of Department of Pharmacology – from April 2011
2. Member review teams for training paramedical personnel and training institutions requesting registration – from 2008
RESEARCH GRANTS RECIEVED
1. University of Colombo research grant for establishing a bioequivalence testing laboratory in Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy 2011 – SLRs 18.5 million (Role : Principal Applicant)
2. University of Colombo Collaborative research grants for 2012 for study on the local pharmaceutical manufacturing industry and investigation of quality assurance problems in Sri Lanka. SLRs 3 million (Role : Principal Applicant and as supervisor for a PhD research project)
3. University of Colombo infrastructure development grants 2012 - for upgrading the Department of Pharmacology Laboratory to an accredited laboratory for the conduct of bioequivalence studies and clinical trials in the University of Colombo. Rs 1.5 million (Role : Principal Applicant)
4. University of Colombo research grant 2011 Investigation of usage, pharmaceutical quality, bio-equivalence and population pharmacokinetics of mood stabilizers used in bipolar affective disorders in Sri Lanka SLRs 1.5 million (Role : Supervisor of research project for PhD candidate)
5. A randomized, double blind, controlled clinical trial of S-Amlodipine versus conventional Amlodipine, to compare the incidence of leg edema and antihypertensive efficacy in patients with hypertension. USD 8000 grant paid to Faculty of Medicine for the laboratory expenses and ethics committee charges (Role : Co-investigator)
6. LJP 394-90-14 – International multicenter clinical trial : Total of about USD 20,000 for the conduct of this study and purchase of equipment. Title : A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Three Arm, Parallel-Group, Multicenter, Multinational, Safety And Efficacy Trial of 300 mg and 900 mg of Abetimus Sodium In Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) Patients with a History of Renal Disease” sponsored by La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company; (Role : Principle investigator)
7. University research grants for 2011 – Rs 300,000/-. Title : Study of pregnancy outcomes and seizure control in relation to antiepileptic drug level monitoring (Role : Principle investigator)
8. National Coordinating committee for reproductive health research (NCC-RHR) Rs 110,000/- . Title /-. Title : Study of pregnancy outcomes and seizure control in relation to antiepileptic drug level monitoring (Role : Principle investigator).
9. IRQUE project research grant for staff student collaborative research. -2006. Rs 150,000/= Genetic variants in the Cytochrome P 4502D6 (CYP2D6) gene in the main ethnic groups in Sri Lanka. ( Role Co-investigator, Principal investigator Prof RL Jayakody
10. University research grants for 2011 – Rs 300,000/- Title Bioequivalance and quality testing of innovator and generic products of carbemazepine immediate release preparations. Rs 300,000/- ( Role : Co-investigator, Principal investigator Prof RL Jayakody)
1. Travel grant awarded by National Science Foundation to present two papers at the 7th International conference on Lupus and related diseases (Lupus 2004) in New York, USA. May 2004.
2. Travel grant awarded by National Science Foundation to present two papers at 8th International Conference on SLE in May 2007 Shanghai, China
1. Senaka Bibile oration 2011 delivered at the Senaka Bibile commemoration and the 40th anniversary celebrations of the State Pharmaceuticals Cooperation of Sri Lanka on invitation by State Pharmaceuticals Corporation on the topic of ‘Quality assurance of generic drugs : The vision of Professor Bibile for today’ on 17th October 2011 at BMICH
2. SC Paul oration 2009 at 122nd Annual academic sessions of SLMA on ‘Systemic lupus erythematosus: Research and experience in a dedicated Lupus Clinic in Sri Lanka’
3. John Autian oration on the invitation of Society of Pharmacovigilance of India (SOPI) on “ NSAIDs : Lessons in Pharmacovigilance” at the 7th Annual conference of Society of Pharmacovigilance of India held at the National Institute of Medical Sciences, Jaipur, India, 23rd-27th November 2007
1. Awarded Asia Pacific League of Associations for Rheumatology (APLAR) Travel Grant Award, (a prize of 500 USD) for the abstract titled ‘A comparative study on pregnancy outcomes and contraceptive use in patients with Systemic lupus erythematous and those with rheumatoid arthritis or no chronic illness’ at 9th International Congress on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (LUPUS2010) held in June, 2010 in Vancouver, Canada. The study was identified by the Abstract Review Committee as one of the outstanding abstracts and selected for APLAR travel grant award.
AWARDS RECEIVED FOR SCIENTIFIC COMMINICATIONS AT CONFERENCES
1. SE Seneviratne prize awarded by SLMA for the oral presentation at SLMA annual academic sessions 2011 for the study A randomized double blind controlled clinical trial of efficacy and safety of low dose Rituximab compared to leflunomide in patients with refractory rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Awarded 1st prize for the best poster for the study on Comparative assessment of ethical competence among medical students. Does a Formal ethics course make a difference.at the 7th International Medical Education conference (IMEC 2010), Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
1. Contributing author, Module foe Medical Ethics for Medical Undergraduates. World Health Organisation 2009 (SEA-HSD-321 )
2. Contributing author, Sri Lanka Patients Formulary 2010, Printed by Ananda Press, Colombo 13, (ISBN: 978-955-52683-0-1)
3. Priyadarshani Galappatthy W Pathirana, Eds, Lesser known indications of Essential Drugs Registered in Sri Lanka. 2009.published by Department of Pharmacology and (ISBN 978-955-52181-0-8)
4. Fernandopuule R, Beneragama BVSH, Galappatthhy P. Eds. The expectations, The reality and the burden of Drug donations : Evidence for action. Ministry of Healthcare and Nutrition and Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo. January 2007 (ISBN 955-9021-52-4)
5. Contributed to Book on Guidelines on Disaster Management (ISBN 955-9021-47-8)
6. Contributing author, Behavioural Sciences Stream course book for BSc Physiotherapy undergraduates
7. Contributing author, Behavioural Sciences Stream course book for medical undergraduates
8. Contributed to Fernando M, Dissanyaka HW, Corea EM. Eds. Ethics Review Committee Guidelines. A Guide for Developing Standard Operating Procedures for Committees that Review Bio Medical Research Proposals. Forum for Ethics Review Committees, Sri Lanka 2007.
1. Contributing author for the the Chapter on the “paracetamol poisoning ” in the Management of Poisoning 2007. By Ravindra Fernando Published by the National Poisons Information Center of National Hospital of Sri Lanka (ISBN 955 -9126-04-0)
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
1. Tharanga T. D. P, Jinadasa C M V Risama M. F, Galappatthy P, Jayakody R. L, Dissanayake V H. W.Genetic variants in the cytochrome P450 2D6 gene in the Sri Lankan population. Indian Journal of Human Geenetics 2013; 19; 302-6.
2. Ranasinghe P, Jayawardena R, Pigera ASAD, Katulanda P, Constantine R G, Galappaththy P. Zinc supplementation in pre-diabetes: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Trials.2013, 14:52.
3. P. Ranasinghe R. Jayawardena P. Galappaththy, G. R. Constantine, N. de Vas Gunawardana., P. Katulanda Response to Akilen et al. Efficacy and safety of ‘true’ cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) as a pharmaceutical agent in diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetic Medicine 2013 ; 30: 506–507.
4. R Jayawardena, P Ranasinghe, P Galappatthy, RLDK Malkanthi GR Constantine and P Katulanda Effects of zinc supplementation on diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome 2012;4(1):13
5. P. Ranasinghe, R. Jayawardana, P. Galappaththy, G. R Constantine, N. de Vas Gunawardana and P. Katulanda Efficacy and safety of ‘true’ cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) as a pharmaceutical agent in diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetic Medicine 2012 (12):1480-92.
6. P. Galappatthy, AN Wazeel, S Nanayakkara, R Sheriff. Clinical features of systemic lupus erythematosus in Sri Lankan patients: results from a lupus clinic. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2000; 45: 162-165
7. K DE Abrew, P. Galappatthy, Weerasuirya K.Metformin in diabetes mellitus; are we choosing the right patients? The Ceylon Medical Journal 2000; 45:43-44
8. Priyadarshani Galappatthy, Colvin Gooneratne. Results of The Sri Lanka Prescriber Readers Survey. The Sri Lanka Prescriber 2009; 17 :1-3.
9. Deshamanya Dr J B Peiris Award, for the best presentation in Neurology, 47th Annual Academic Sessions at the Cinnamon Grand, Colombo; October 2014, "Impact of routine serum Carbamazepine level monitoring in pregancy on sei-zure control and medication adherence: Preliminary results of an ongoing study" by Galappatthy P , Jayasekara LMDT , Perera I , Perera KDR, Damayanthi DGH, de Abrew K, Lucas N, Gunarathna P, Gamage R, Wijeyaratne CN, Wijeratne S, Weeraratne C, Abhayaratna SA, Weerasekara T, Anupama A, Aravinthahn A, Kempitiya BCTANWMRCS
1. Harindu Wijesinghe. Suranjith Seneviratne, Priyadarshani Galappatthy, Lalith Wijayaratne. Biologics : a new weapon in the war against autoimmune joint disease. Journal of the Ceylon College of physicians, 2010, 41, 76-82.
2. Priyadarshani Galappatthy. NSAIDS : The lessons in Pharmacovigilance. Journal of Pharmacovigilance and drug safety 2007; 5 : 14-20.
3. P Galappatthy. Current approaches to Diagnosis and Management of systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of the Ceylon College of Physicians 2006, 39 :17-24.
4. Galappatthy P, Dawson A, Fernado R. Management of paracetamol overdose. The Sri Lanka Prescriber 2006; 14 : 1-4.
5. Priyadarshani Galappatthy. Management of hypertension- What is the new evidence ? College News: News letter of the Ceylon College of Physicians 2003;3: 4-5.
6. Priyadarshani Galappatthy. Management of Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura in adults –Sri Lanka Journal of Heamatology; 2002:1:22-26
7. P. Galappatthy, R Sheriff; Diagnosis and Management of systemic lupus erythematosis : The Sri Lanka Prescriber 1999; 7 :3-7
8. P Galappatthy Renal effects of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors .. The Sri Lanka Prescriber 1995: 3: 9.
9. P Galappatthy Adverse reactions to drugs- Short acting calcium channel blockers (eg. nifedipine) and ischaemic heart disease., The Sri Lanka Prescriber 1996: 4: 7
10. P Galappatthy Adverse reactions to drugs- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), asthma and hypersensitivity., The Sri Lanka Prescriber 1994: 2 (4), :8-9.
11. P Galappatthy Drugs and adverse reactions - Slow down on parenteral vitamin K-, The Sri Lanka Prescriber 1994: 2, (1): 7-8.
1. P Galappatthy, I Wijeweera, JC Wijesekara, DRR Kodikara, HCN Fonseka Familial Amyloid Polyneuropathy in a Sri Lankan Family.; Ceylon Medical Journal 1997 42: 33-35.
COMMUNICATIONS AT SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS PUBLISHED AS ABSTRACTS
1. P Galappatthy, DJD Jayasinghe, CS Paththinige, L Wijeratne, MHR Sheriff A comparative study on pregnancy outcomes and contraceptive use in patients with Systemic lupus erythematous and those with rheumatoid arthritis or no chronic illness. Lupus 2010: 19 (S) 182. (selected as one of the outstanding abstracts and awarded Asia Pacific League against rheumatism (APLAR) travel grant award )
2. P. Galappatthy, N. Dharmarathne, V. Fernando, K. Dayasiri, M.T.K. Perera, Prof. M. H. R.Sheriff. A randomised controlled study of the effectiveness of patient information leaflets on systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in improving knowledge on SLE. Lupus 2010; 19 (s) : 166
3. J Perera, Ameen N, Rajakaruna S, Samaragee D, Galappatthy P. Comparative assessment of ethical competence among medical students. Does a Formal ethics course make a difference. Proceedings of 7th International Medical Education conference (IMEC 2010), Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. (awarded 1st prize for the best poster)
4. Galappatthy P, Amarasuriya S, Perera J, Jayasinghe S, Jayakody RL. Behavioural sciences teaching and learning as a continuous stream in the undergraduate medical curriculum : Evaluation of an innovative programme. Proceedings of International Medical Education Conference (IMEC) 2008, March 2008, Kuala Lampur, Malaysia.
5. Galappatthy P, Wijeratne NT, Amarasuriya SD, Arandara VL. Reliability of student and peer marking at formative assessments in Behavioural Sciences Stream. Proceedings of the 5th Asia Pacific Medical education Conference, 24th-27th January, Singapore.
6. Amarasuriya SD, Galappatthy P, Wijeratne NT, Arandara VL, de Zoysa P, Student feedback on formative assessments and correlation between performance at formative and summative assessments. Proceedings of the 5th Asia Pacific Medical education Conference, 24th-27th January, Singapore
7. Galappatthy P, Amarasuriya S, Arandara V, Mauratha K, Jayakody RL. Perceptions of Recent graduates of Colombo Medical Faculty on the Behavioural Sciences Stream inputs and its impact on their professionbal practice. International E- Journal of Science, Medicine and Education 2007 : 1: A9-10. Proceedings of the International Medical Education Conference 2007 (IMEC 2007) Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. (abstract no : OA7)
8. P Galappatthy, S Cooray, R Sheriff, AA Abdulla. Systemic Lupus erythematosus Damage Index and predictors of damage in a cohort of Sri Lankan patients with SLE. Proceedings of the 8th Intrnational Conference on SLE; May 2007 Shanghai, China. Lupus 2007 ; 16 (S) 124.
9. P Galappatthy, Kariyawasam DT, LS Kannangara, R Sheriff. Precipitating factors for exacerbations, organ involvement and hospital prevalance of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in a tertiary care referral center in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 8th Intrnational Conference on SLE; May 2007 Shanghai, China. Lupus 2007 ; 16(S) :123
10. Galappatthy P, Kahaduwa KTD, Kannangara LS, Karawita TS, Kariyawasam DT, Karunadasa MSE, Karunaratna DAS, Karunaratna PR. A Clinical Audit on Paracetamol poisoning Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Association of Medical Toxicology, 5th International Congress August 2006.
11. P Galappatthy, BPR Cooray, Galappatthy GKS, BMR Fernandopulle. Impact of introduction of statins to private and state sector in Sri lanka on utilization, cost and prescribing pattern. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Improved Use of Medicines(ICIUM 2004) in ChiangMai in Thailand in March 2004.
12. Priyadarshani Galappatthy, A Jayathilaka, Sita Nanayakkara, Rezvi heriff. Managing lupus in Sri Lanka : sensitivity of ARA criteria, monitoring, treatment and patient support. Proceedings of the 7th International conference on Lupus and related diseases(Lupus 2004) in New York , USA. May 2004.
13. P Galappatthy, RT Rupasinghe, BPR Cooray, GKS Galappatthy, BMR Fernandopulle. Side effects of statins in patients attending a cardiology clinic in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the International conference on Pharmacovigilence and 3rd annual meeting of the Society of Pharmacovigilence in India, 11th-13th December 2003 Agra, India.
14. P Galappatthy, AN Wazeel, SS Abeyagunasekara, A Ariyaratnam, S Nanayakkara, P Angunawala, R Sheriff. Descriptive study of renal involvement in patients with systemic lupus erythematosis followed up in the University of Colombo Lupus Research Clinic. Proceedings of the 3rd Congress of Nephrology, Urology and Transplantation Society of SAARC countries, February 1999.
1. Wijesinghe H, Ushagowry H, Galappatthy P, De Silva, R ,Seneneviratne SL, Rajapaksa RPGK, Randeniya, P, Fernando C, Fernandopulle BMR, Weerasekera LP, Wijayaratne LS A randomized double blind controlled clinical trial of efficacy and safety of low dose Rituximab compared to leflunomide in patients with refractory rheumatoid arthritis. Ceylon Medical Journal 2011; 56 : S 1 :26. (Was selected for the award of the SE Seneviratne prize)
2. Investigation of immunological parameters in patients with refractory rheumatoid arthritis receiving low dose Rituximab or Leflunamide Wijesinghe H, De Silva R, Galappatthy P , Seneviratne SL, Wickremesinghe SG, Ratnayake D, Ushagowry S, Hart M, Kelleher P, Randeniya P, Rajapaksa RPGK, Weerasekera LP, Wijayaratne LS. Ceylon Medical Journal 2011; 56 : S 1 :64.
3. S Mangaleswaran, T Tharmalingam, P Galappatthy. Knowledge and attitudes towards euthanasia and end of life decisions in a tertiary care hospital. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2010; 55 (S) 33
4. P Galappatthy, DJD Jayasinghe, CS Paththinige, L Wijeratne, MHR Sheriff A comparative study on pregnancy outcomes and contraceptive use in patients with Systemic lupus erythematous and those with rheumatoid arthritis or no chronic illness. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2009; 54 (S) 15
5. P. Galappatthy, N. Dharmarathne, V. Fernando, K. Dayasiri, M.T.K. Perera, Prof. M. H. R.Sheriff. A randomised controlled study of the effectiveness of patient information leaflets on systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in improving knowledge on SLE. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2009; 54 (S) 33
6. Jayakody RL, Galappatthy P, Dissanayake VHW, Risama MF, Jinadasa CVM, Tharanga TDP, Wijeratne TW. Genetic variants in the Cytochrome P 4502D6 (CYP2D6) gene in the main ethnic groups in Sri Lanka. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2009; 54 (S) 35
7. LS Kannangara, Kariyawasam DT, P Galappatthy, R Sheriff, Wijeyaratne L. Precipitating factors for exacerbations, organ involvement and hospital prevalance of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in a tertiary care referral center in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Sri Lanka Medical Association Annual Scientific sessions : Ceylon Medical Journal 2008; 53 : 51
8. Galappatthy P, De Mel VNC, De Silva DL, De Silva HTR, Fernandopulle BMR. Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting among doctors in Sri Lanka and factors influencing reporting. Proceedings of the 120th Annual Academic sessions of the Sri Lanka medical Association. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2007; 52 (S1) 47.
9. Galappatthy P, Amarasuriya SD, Wijeratne NT, Arandara VL, de Zoysa P, Student feedback on formative assessments and correlation between performance at formative and summative assessments. Proceedings of the PGIM Academic sessions 2007.
10. Galappatthy P, Wijeratne NT, Amarasuriya SD, Arandara VL. Reliability of student and peer marking at formative assessments in Behavioural Sciences Stream. Proceedings of the PGIM Academic sessions 2007
11. Kannangara L S, Kariyawasam D T, Galappatthy P, Wijeratne L, Sheriff R. A study on aggravating factors for exacerbations, complications and hospital prevalence of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Proceedings of the 3rd Biannual Conference of Allergy and Immunology Society of SriLanka(AISSL) 2006
12. Dantanarayana P, Galappatthy P, Hanwella R. Relative use and costs of newer Vs conventional psychotropic drugs. Proceedings of the Student Scientific sessions 2006, Faculty opf Medicine, University of Colombo.
13. P Galappatthy, GK Nanayakkara, J Wijebandara, BBR Fernadopulle. Alternative Medicines available through pharmacies in Sri Lanka. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2005;50: Supp1: 32. (Proceedings of Sri Lanka Medical Association Anniversary Academic sessions, 2005.
14. P Galappatthy, HS Wijewantha, VM Kodippiliarachchi, JATR Jayaweera, TSP Fernando, C Arambepola. Truth telling and patient autonomy: Sri Lankan patients perspective. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2005;50: Supp1: 43. (Proceedings , Sri Lanka Medical Association Anniversary Academic sessions.
15. Priyadarshani Galappatthy, A Jayathilaka, Rezvi Sheriff. Spectrum of autoimmune conditions present among patients in the University Lupus clinic and prevalence of autoimmune markers. Proceedings of 2nd annual academic sessions of the Allergy and Autoimmunity Society of Sri Lanka held in coolaboration with Federation of Immunological Societies of Asia-Ocenea(FIMSA), November 2004.
16. Abdulla AA, Galappatthy P, Wijebandara J, Jayakody RL. Evaluation of the BSc Pharmacy (Special) course. Proceedings of the joint academic sessions of the faculty of Science and Medicine University of Colombo 2004
17. P Galappatthy, BPR Cooray, RT Rupasinghe, Fernandopulle BMR. The prescribing pattern, side effects, utilisation and cost of statins in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 59th Annual scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka Association of Advancement of Science, December 2003.
18. P Galappatthy, AA Abdulla, DT Gunasekara, DR Hanwella, SSD Fernando, SR DE A Seneviratna, C Goonaratna Impact of behavioural Sciences stream inputs relevant to clinical work during professorial clinical rotations: perceptions of final year medical students in University of Colombo.. Proceedings of the International Conference on Curriculum change in Medical schools July 2002.
19. P Galappatthy, VW Wanigasekara, T Welandawa, E Ranatunga, H Dissanayaka, RL Jayakody. Effectiveness of a problem based learning activity in the new curriculum of the Colombo medical faculty. Proceedings of the International Conference on Curriculum change in Medical schools July 2002.
20. P Galappatthy, RV Pathberiya, PPB daluwatta, , RL Jayakody. Assessment of problem based learning sessions in the integrated medical curriculum of the Colombo Medical faculty. Proceedings of the Sri Lanka Association for the Adnacement of Science December 1999
21. P. Galappatthy. GK Arachchi, A N Wazeel, N Mazaima, S Fernando, MHR Sheriff. Descriptive study of SLE patients followed up in the University of Colombo Lupus Research clinic. Proceedings of 112th Anniversary academic sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association March 1999.
22. P. Galappatthy, H P Pathirage, RL Jayakody, Hospital prevalence of atrial fibrillation proceedings of 108th Anniversary Academic Sessions of SLMA,1995
23. WMT Weerasinghe, GH Fernando, GKS Galappatthy, P Wickramaarachchi, H Pathirage, B Piyasena Drug use in Pregnancy. Abstract no: 102nd SLMA Anniversary Academic Sessions,1989
INVITED GUEST LECTURES
1. Management of Systemic lupus erythematosus in pregnancy. Guest lecture given for 8th South Asia Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecology conference and 44th annual scientific sessions of Sri Lanka College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists on 23rd April 2011
2. Plenary lecture on SLE and renal disease delivered at glomerulonephritis symposium at the 9th Nephrologists, Urologists and Transplant Surgeons Society of SAARC countries, October 2009
3. Invited lecture on adverse reactions to traditional medicines delivered at the WHO Pharmacovigilance training course for South East Asian region held from 28th September to 2nd October 2009 in Cololmbo
4. Invited presentation on issues for drug bulletins from developing countries presented at the International Society of Drug Bulletins (ISDB) General assembly held in Nicaragua on 2nd December 2008
5. Draft curriculum on Medical Ethics for South East Asian Medical schools’ delivered, at the symposium and workshop on Teaching ethics for medical undergraduates at the first meeting of the regional network of medical councils in SEAR countries held from 19th –21st December 2007 in Colombo, organised by the WHO/SEARO.
6. Info_Vig, The National ADR monitoring Unit, Sri Lanka. Presentation made at the “Pharmacovigilance- the study of Adverse Drug Reactions(ADR) training course” Uppsala Sweden23rd May-3rd June 2005 representing the National ADR monitoring center, Sri Lanka.
7. Preventing iatrogenic kidney injury. lecture delivered at Critical care update in Nephrology on 2nd March 2013.
8. Antiphospholipid syndrome : An overview A guest lecture delivered for Allergy and Immunology Society of Sri Lanka on 6th March 2013
9. Management of SLE in pregnancy. Guest lecture delivered at the 45th Annual academic sessions of Sri Lanka College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (SLCOG) 2012 at Symposium on Medical Disorders in Pregnancy.
10. Quality assurance of medicines through effective implementation of National Medicinal Drug Policy. A Guest lecture delivered for the Registered Medical officers Association meeting on 23rd December 2011 in Kurunegala.
11. Rational Use of Antibiotics Invited guest lecture at symposium on rational use of antibiotics at the 125th Anniversary Academic sessions of SLMA in June 2012
12. Clinical Trials in compliance with GCP Guidelines. Invited lecture at the SLMA regional meeting with Kandy Society of Medicine in May 2012
13. Immunosuppressive therapy in uveitis. Invited lecture given at the symposium on uveitis at the 20th Annual academic sessions of the College of Ophthalmologists of Sri Lanka on 2nd September 2011
14. Cardiac drugs in pregnancy. Invited lecture given at the symposium on heart disease complicating pregnancy at the 11th annual academic sessions of the Sri Lanka Heart Association 2011 on 14th August 2011
15. Prescribing in liver disease. Invited lecture given at the critical care updates in hepatology organised by Sri Lankan society of critical care and emergency medicine on 5th August 2011
16. Our experience with SLE. Presentation given at Nephrology CME 2011 organised by SLANT, SLMA, PGIM and ISN on 3rd May 2011
17. Patient safety in Clinical trials. Presentation for the seminar on clinical trails organized by the Drugs committee of SLMA and faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo. January 2011.
18. Systemic lupus erythematosus in pregnancy presentation at workshop on medical disorders in pregnancy organized by Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya and Department of Reproductive Health and Research, WHO on 1st April 2011
19. Conduct of Clinical Trials with reference to GCP guidelines. Presentation for Research Ethics Course, organized by Ethics review committee, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo on 26th May 2011
20. How can we minimize poisoning due to pharmaceuticals. Presentation given at the media seminar organized by the National poison information center of the national hospital of Sri lanka on 24th May 2011
21. Alternative and herbal medicines available in pharmacies. Presentation given for your well being sessions organized by Colege of general Practitioners of Sri lanka on 12th June 2011
22. Immunology of SLE. Presentation delivered at a joint meeting of College of Physicians on 14th September 2009
23. Systemic lupus erythematosus and auto immunity - delivered at the immunology day organized jointly by College of Physicians and Allergy and Immunology Society of Sri Lanka held on 9th July 2009 at SLMA
24. Presentation on paracetamol poisoning and management of common drug overdoses at awareness programme for medical officers at Colombo South Teaching Hospital organized by national poisons and drug information center of NHSL on 6th August 2009 and National Hospital organized on 9th July 2009
25. Guest lecture on Rational Prescription of drugs for the Navy Medical Officers at the Naval Health Directorate on 26th June 2009
26. Guest Lecture on Ethics of Clinical Research organized by National Health Research Council (NHRC), SLMA and the Ministry of Health at the Forum on Research ethics on 27th June 2009
27. Review lecture titled ‘Management dilemmas in systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome(APS). Delivered for the Sri Lanka Medical Association Monthly clinical Meeting – February 2008
28. Guest Lecture on ‘Current Prescribing pattern in Psychiatry and Pharmacoeconomics’. delivered at the symposium on rational prescribing in psychiatry at the Annual Scientific sessions of the Sri Lanka College of Psychiatrists- 29th March 2008
29. Systemic lupus erythematosus at the Immunology Day of the Ceylon College of Physicians on 19th June 2008
30. Case Presentation and Review on Serotonin Syndrome. Presentation at SLMA Monthly Clinical meeting held on 18th January 2007 at the Lionel memorial Auditorium of SLMA..
31. Paracetamol Poisoning : Issues for Sri Lanka. Guest Lecture delivered at the Symposium on Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology by the SLMA at the Kandy Society of Medicine; 29th Annual Academic sessions 22nd- 24th February 2007 in Kandy.
32. Immune based Interventions. A guest lecture at the Ceylon College of Physicians Immunology Day held on 16th July 2007 at the Lionel memorial Auditorium of SLMA
33. Clinical Immunology for the General Physicians – Systemic Lupus erythematosus. A guest lecture at the Ceylon College of Physicians Immunology Day held on 16th July 2007 at the Lionel memorial Auditorium of SLMA September 2007
34. NSAIDs – Use, abuse and iatrogenic diseases – College of General Practitioners 33rd annual academic sessions held on 7th October 2007 at SLMA auditorium
35. Paracetamol overdose and management – Guest lecture delivered at the Seminar on management and prevention of poisoning for medical officers and nursing staff of Kurunegala district on15th November at General Hospital Kurunegala
36. ‘Draft curriculum on Medical Ethics for South East Asian Medical schools’ delivered, at the symposium and workshop on Teaching ethics for medical undergraduates at the first meeting of the regional network of medical councils in SEAR countries held from 19th –21st December 2007 in Colombo, organised by the WHO/SEARO.
37. Supply of Quality Pharmaceuticals to Sri Lankan public – Keynote address delivered at the Suppliers Convention of the State Pharmaceuticals Corporation 2006 in attendance of Minister of Health
38. SLE and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome – The local experience. A Guest lecture delivered at the symposium on Autoimmune diseases of pregnancy, at the 40th Annual Scientific sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, 26th – 29th September 2007
39. Biological agents: Their Use, potential, Sri Lanka experience and future directions. Guest lecture delivered at the symposium on An update of Therapeutics, at the 40th Annual Scientific sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, 26th – 29 th
40. Systemic lupus erythematosus : an update - A guest lecture delivered at the 3rd Biannual Conference of Allergy and Immunology Society of SriLanka(AISSL) November 2006
41. Proposal for post graduate training in Clinical Pharmacology, presented at the meeting of clinical Pharmacologists with representation from International Union of Clinical Pharmacologists (IUPHAR) in Colombo, August 2006.
42. Keynote address on ‘Supply of Quality Generic drugs’ delivered at the Dealers Convention 2005 of the State Pharmaceuticals Coorporation, Sri Lanka – in attendance of Minister of Health
43. Management of Paracetamol poisoning and liver failure. A Guest lecture delivered at the Foundations Sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association in 2005
44. Management of Paracetamol poisoning. A Guest lecture delivered at the Foundations Sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association in 2004
45. Key note address on ‘Supply of Quality Generic drugs’ delivered at the Media convention of the State Pharmaceuticals Coorporation, Sri Lanka – June 2003
46. Systemic lupus erythematosus – lecture delivered for the CPD programme in Haematology on the invitation by Sri Lanka College of Haematologists 2004
47. Management of Paracetamol poisoning and liver failure. A Guest lecture delivered at the Foundations Sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association in 2005
48. New drugs in Haematology – Symposium at the Annual Academic sessions of the College of Haematologists 2003
49. College lecture on Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome: yet an evolving disease – delivered for the Ceylon College of Physicians – October 2002
50. Management of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura in Adults at the 1st Annual academic sessions of the Sri Lanka College of Haematologists in 1999
51. Diagnosis and management of Systemic lupus erythematosus’ -Young Physicians Forum, Ceylon College of Physicians -April 1998
Resource Person for workshops/seminars and organizing workshops/ seminars
1. Role of different players in clinical trials. lecture delivered for the Workshop on "Ethics Review of Clinical Trials" conducted by Ethics review committee , Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo 29-30 November 2012
2. Regulations, guidelines, Essential clinical trial documents and records. lecture delivered for the Workshop on "Ethics Review of Clinical Trials" conducted by Ethics review committee , Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo 29-30 November 2012
3. Pharmaceuticals : Use and misuse. Guest lecture delivered at the seminar organized by National center for toxicology at the National Hospital of Sri Lanka on 28th March 2013
4. Rational prescribing. Guest lecture delivered at the Induction seminar for intern medical officers on 2nd May 2012
5. Pharmaceutical toxicology Guest lecture delivered at Seminar on Toxicology Organised by Institute of Chemistry, 20th January 2012
6. Clinical Audit : Importance and conduct. A lecture delivered for trainer of Post Graduate Institute of Medicine in 2012
7. Organising workshop on ethics in Physiotherapy practice for the Extended Faculty of the BSc Physiotherapy programme held on 23rd July 2009 at the Faculty Board Room and was a resource person of the workshop giving 2 presentations on Behavioural Sciences for BSc Physiotherapy programme and on informed consent
8. As a resource person for the training programme for medical officers of Health / divisional directors on prevention, early detection and management of non communicable diseases and hypertension, organized by the National cancer control programme of the Ministry of Health- from 2002 till date altogether 23 lectures given
9. Resource person at consultative meeting for the development of well woman clinic training modules.
10. Resource person at seminar for Pharmacists at Maharagama Cancer hospital on 6th August 2009 giving a presentation on safe handling of cytotoxic drugs, on the invitation of Director Cancer Hospital.
11. Resource person at research methodology course for post graduates organized by PGIM - Planning and conduct of a clinical trial Presentation on 27th May 2009 and 15th September 2009
12. Resource person at stakeholder group meetings of Diabetes Prevention Task Force (DPTF) for developing teaching materials for training of nurses
13. Resource person for the trainees in Paediatrics at the drug Regulatory Authority (DRA) giving a presentation Clinical trials in Paediatrics on 25th June 2009
14. Resource person at Certificate course on research ethics review (CCRER) organized by the Ethics Review Committee of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo on 24th-25th April 2008 and 10-11th September 2009 giving a presentation on ‘Clinical trials with reference to GCP guidelines’
15. Resource person at symposium on ‘Issues for drug Bulletins in developing countries’ presented at the International Society of Drug Bulletins (ISDB) General assembly held in Nicaragua on 3nd December 2008
16. Main resource person at the series of Seminars held for internal Pharmacists from January 2007 for the first batch and subsequent batches of Pharmacists who have to develop the portfolio as a new assessment tool in their 2nd year during internship giving a presentation on preparation of the Portfolio.
17. Main resource person at the Seminars for Chief Pharmacists of all Teaching, Base and District Hospitals giving presentations on Guiding trainee pharmacists to prepare the Portfolio in February 2007 and 2009
18. Chief organiser at the pre-congress workshop on Evidence Based drug information and communicating information at the 120th Annual academic sessions of the SLMA held from 21st –24th March 2007. The work included planning the programme, compilation of material for group work at the workshop, coordinating the presentations by speakers and being a resource person, doing the presentation on feedback on group work.
19. Organised a workshop through MEDARC on constructing ‘best response MCQs’ for the Faculty staff by Dr JC Mucklow, Associate Medical Director for specialist examinations of Royal college of Physicians UK, on 20th November 2007 during his visit to attend the Foundation sessions of SLMA
20. Member of steering committee of annual scientific sessions of SLMA in 1998, 2007 and 2008
21. Member organizing committee of Symposium on Medicinal Drug Affordability and cost effective prescribing organised by Sri Lanka Medical Association and Health Ministry on 17th August 2007
22. Resource person at programme on poisoning for registered medical practitioners organized by National Poison information center and the ministry of health services by delivering lecture on management of paracetamol poisoning and common drug overdoses held on 13th sepetember 2007 and 9th May 2008
23. Resource person at awareness programme for nurses conducted by National poisons and drug information center giving a presentation on management of paracetamol overdose on 6th June 2008
24. Resource person for the revised curriculum on Toxicology for nursing students delivering two lectures on management of pharmaceutical poisoning, August 2008
Overseas conferences workshops and training courses attended
1. 9th International Congress on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (LUPUS2010) held June 24 -27, 2010 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
2. Advanced life support training course conducted by Resuscitation council, UK, at Center for Health Sciences, Inverness UK, in September 2010
3. Online Good Clinical Practice (GCP) training in June-July 2010. Quintiles GCP Module 1 – 6 which included Course Overview of ICH GCP, Clinical Investigator Obligations and IRB/ IEC, Subject Informed Consent and Protocol Compliance , Investigational Product and Case Report Form Completion, Safety Reporting, Financial Disclosure and Record Retention, Scientific Misconduct Fraud and Audits Inspections with total 6 hours of online training and award of certificates.
4. 5th Asia Pacific Medical education Conference, 24th-27th January, Singapore and Workshop on SPSS for research in Medical Education. Organised by 5th Asia Pacific Medical education Conference, 24th-27th January, National University of Singapore
5. Investigators meeting of the LJP 394-90-14 “ A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Three Arm, Parallel-Group, Multicenter, Multinational, Safety And Efficacy Trial of 300 mg and 900 mg of Abetimus Sodium In Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) Patients with a History of Renal Disease” held in Goa India in August 2008
6. International Society of Drug Bulletins (ISDB) General assembly held in Nicaragua from 1st -4th December 2008
7. Pre-congress workshops on medical education and the International Medical Education Conference 2007 (IMEC 2007) from 19th –21st April 2007 organised by the International Medical University, Kuala Lampur Malaysia.
8. Observation of the functioning of the Drug Information/ Drug Regulatory Authority in Penang, Malaysia on a WHO fellowship from 22nd-25th April 2007.
9. 8th International Congress on SLE in Shanghai, China from 23rd-27th May 2007
10. Training course on Pharmacovigilance – The study of adverse drug reactions and related problems and Pharmacoepidemiology (Module I and Module IIa), in Uppsala, Sweden from 23May –3rd June 2005 on a WHO Fellowship
11. The regional meeting of the International Society of drug Bulletind (ISDB ) in Nepal in February 2004 representing The Sri Lanka Prscriber as the secretary
12. 2nd International Conference on Improved Use of Medicines(ICIUM 2004) in ChiangMai in Thailand in March 2004.
13. 7th International conference on Lupus and related diseases(Lupus 2004) in New York , USA. May 2004.
14. Annual meeting of the National centers for WHO Pharmacovigilence – Delhi India December 2003
15. International conference on Pharmacovigilence and 3rd Annual conference of Society of Pharmaovigilence in India – Agra, India December 2003
16. Recent Advances in Medical Toxicology Llandough Hospital, Cardiff, 27th – 29th November 2000 Conducted by the National Poisons information Service (Cardiff center) as part of the Diploma/MSc course in Medical Toxicology conducted by the University of Cardiff
17. ISDB Training course for editors at Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin, London 2 - 6th October 2000.
18. The XVII National Workshop in Clinical Pharmacology in Chandigarh in India from 15th –20th February 1999 through a WHO Fellowship
SERVICE AS A REVIEWER OF SCIENTIFIC WORK
Manuscript Reviewer for Peer-reviewed International Journals
1. Reviewer of manuscripts for BMJ case reports – 2012 onwards
Editor/Editorial Committee Member of Scientific Journals
1. Editorial Board member and The Sri Lanka Presciber from 1993 – to date and Editorial Secretary from 1993 -2010. This is published jointly by the Dept of Pharmacology and State Pharmaceutical Corporation (SPC), and a regular quarterly publication from 1993. Sri Lanka Prescriber received full membership of International Society of Drug Bulletins(ISDB) in 2001. This is the only regularly published drug information bulletin which has the largest circulation in Sri Lanka and it is sent free of charge to all doctors employed by ministry of Health and Universities who request for the bulletin.
Manuscript Reviewer for Peer-Reviewed National Journals
1. Manuscript reviewer for Ceylon Medical Journal
2. Manuscript reviewer for Ceylon Journal of Medical Sciences
Abstract Reviewer for Scientific Sessions:
1. Reviewer of abstracts for Sri Lanka Medical Association (SLMA)
2. Reviewer of abstracts for Sri Lanka Association for Advancement ofScience(SLAAS)
3. Reviewer of abstracts for the 44th Asia Pacific Consortium for Public Health
(APACPH) to be held in Sri Lanka in October 2012.
Reviewing of Research Proposals for Funding:
1. Reviewer of research grants for National Science Foundation(NSF)
2. Reviewer for Faculty of Medicine IRQUE project research grants
RESEARCH/ELECTIVE STUDENT TRAINING/SUPERVISION
POST GRADUATE SUPERVISION
1. PhD project registered with Research and Higher Degrees Committee (RHDC) of Faculty of Medicine Colombo in 2012 titled “A study of the quality of mood stabilizer drugs registered in Sri Lanka and their usage in the Colombo District” by Ms Uthpali Mannapperuma (Role : Co-supervisor)
2. MPhil project registered with RHDC of Faculty of Medicine Colombo in 2013 hoping to upgrade to PhD, titled ‘Evaluation of Cinnamomum zeylanicum (Ceylon cinnamon) and Zinc sulphate as a potential pharmaceutical agent for diabetes mellitus by Dr Priyanga Ranasinghe ( Role : Co- Supervosor)
3. MPhil project registered with RHDC of Faculty of Medicine Colombo in 2013 hoping to upgrade to PhD, titled Experimental determination of Biowaiver criteria and Bioequivalence criteria for two selected pharmaceuticals manufactured in Sri Lanka by Ms Danusha Thambavita (Role : Principal-supervisor)
CLINICAL TRIAL EXPERIENCE
1. Principle investigator of LJP 394-90-14 “ A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Three Arm, Parallel-Group, Multicenter, Multinational, Safety And Efficacy Trial of 300 mg and 900 mg of Abetimus Sodium In Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) Patients with a History of Renal Disease” sponsored by La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company
2. Principle Investigator LJP 394-90-14 Sub-study: “A Substudy Evaluating the Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Effects of Abetimus Sodium in a Subset of patients who are participating in the LJP 394-90-14 Study or SLE clinical trial From Sri Lanka over 30 patients were screened, 16 became eligible and 12 were randomized. The participation in this international trial led to development of expertise in conducting multicenter clinical trial in Sri Lanka with contribution to expertise in drug regulatory authority as well as ethics review committee.
3. Sub investigator in ‘A randomized, double blind, controlled clinical trial of S-Amlodipine versus conventional Amlodipine, to compare the incidence of leg edema and antihypertensive efficacy in patients with hypertension’. This single centre study which randomised 172 patients was completed in December 2013.
4. Sub investigator ART 621 trial - A factorial-design, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose optimisation study to investigate the safety, efficacy immunogenicity and pharmacokinetics of ART621 following multiple dose administration in subjects diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis concomitantly taking methotrexate – This phase 2 study is ongoing and randomized 26 patients
5. Sub investigator in Randomised controlled clinical trial in rituximab compared with leflunamide in in RA – This study randomised 40 patients and patient recruitment is completed and now going through the 2 year follow up. Initial results will be submitted as an abstract to SLMA annual academic sessions 2010
6. Sub investigator in A 26 week randomized controlled open label multicenter multinational three arm parallel treat to target trail comparing efficacy and safety of two different dosing regimens of SIBA and one dosing regimen of insulin glargine, both in combination with meal-time insulin aspart in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus (BEGINTM : FLEXT1 – NN1250-3770) with a 26 week extension.
7. Sub investigator in The effect of insulin detemir in combination with liraglutide and metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetes. A 26 week, randomized, open label, parallel-group, multicentre, multinational trial with a 26 week extension (NN2211-1842)
8. Sub investigator in Vasodilatory effects of nitric oxide generating metal organic frameworks in forearm skin of healthy volunteers: a pilot study
9. Sub investigator in The effect of regular mealtime inclusion of oat containing products on glycaemic response and postprandial inflammation in type 2 diabetes
10. Sub investigator in The effect of N acetyl cystein in platelet aggregation in patients who are taking and not taking aspirin.
11. Sub investigator in A randomized double-blind, parallel, two-arm study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy Potential of Aleglitazar to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk in Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) Patients With a Recent Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS) Event and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
12. Sub investigator in a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, parallel group, active-controlled study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of LCZ696 compared to enalapril on morbidity and mortality in patients with chronic heart failure and reduced ejection fraction (CLCZ696B2314)
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
1. Life member, Sri Lanka Medical association – from 1993
2. Life member, Ceylon College of Physicians – from 1997
3. Life member, Nephrologists , Urologists and Transplant Surgeons – from 1999
4. Life member, Allergy and immunology Society of Sri Lanka – from 2006
5. Life member, Sri Lanka Medical Library – from 1995