Lecturer in Biochemistry
- Ph.D. (Nutritional Biochemistry) (2009), Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc) (2001), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
Micronutrient deficiencies in adolescent girls and women
Nutritional intervention through dietary modification
Development and validation of tools in the assessment of dietary intake
Novel biochemical risk markers and genetic polymorphisms in CVD
Publications & Communications
- Thoradeniya T, de silva A, Arambepola C, Atukorala S and Lanerolle P. Portion size estimation aids for Asian foods. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 2012;
- Thoradeniya T, Atukorala S, Ramanayake R and Wickremasinghe R. Low folic acid status and its association with anaemia in urban adolescent girls and women of childbearing age in Sri Lanka. British journal of Nutrition, 2006; 95(3): 511-6.
Communications with published abstracts:
- Thoradeniya T, Mendis S and Atukorala S. Participants perceptions and behaviour regarding dietary modification in coronary artery disease (CAD) risk reduction. (Poster presentation) International Congress of Nutrition 2009, Bangkok, Thailand. Abs. 2710.
- T Thoradeniya, C Arambepola, R.A.A.N. Ranawake, E.A.P. Sarath, A de Silva, S.M.T. Jayasena, S. Atukorala and P. Lanarolle. Digital photographs and 2-dimensional drawings to aid portion size estimation in Sri Lankan children: development and validation. (Poster presentation) 10th European Nutrition Conference, Paris, France, July 2007.
- P Lanerolle, T Thoradeniya, SMT Jayasena, A de Silva, S Atukorala and C Arambepola. Development and validation of food models to aid portion size assessment in the Sri Lankan adolescent diet. (Poster presentation)10th European Nutrition Conference to be held in Paris, France, July 2007.
- T Thoradeniya and S Atukorala. Iron, Folate and Vitamin B12 Deficiencies among Different Age Groups of females in Sri Lanka. (Poster presentation) Micronutrient Forum 2007 Istanbul, Turkey. Abs. M77.
- Thoradeniya T, Atukorala S, Mendis S and Wickremasinghe R. Nutrition counselling: an effective approach to reduce coronary artery disease risk in women in Sri Lanka. Oral presentation - First World Congress of Public Health Nutrition 2006, Barcelona, Spain. Abs. EN 111-3.
- Thoradeniya T and Atukorala S. Urban adolescent girls and young women with lower level of education are at increased risk of folic acid deficiency. (Poster presentation) 18th International Congress of Nutrition 2005, Durban, South Africa. Abs. 6.7.34.
- Thoradeniya T, Atukorala S and Ramanayake R. Iron deficiency- a problem among adolescent girls and women of childbearing age in an urban area in Sri Lanka. (Poster presentation) International Nutritional Anaemia consultative group symposium 2004, Lima, Peru. Abs. Th 90.
- Thoradeniya T, de Silva A , Arambepola C, Atukorala S, Lanerolle P. Portion size estimation aids for dietary recall and dietary intervention in adolescents. The Ceylon Medical Journal 2011; 56(1):36.
- Thoradeniya T, Atukorala S and Wicremasinghe R. Hyperhomocysteinaemia among adolescent girls and young women. Oral presentation-Sri Lanka Medical Association 120th Annual Scientific Sessions. Abs. OP31.
- Thoradeniya S.T., Arulkanthan A., Cheong Chin H., Horadagoda N. U., Abeynayake P. A Clinico-pathological Study on Leucocytozoonosis in Domestic Chicken (Gallus domesticus) in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the Annual Research Sessions, University of Peradeniya 2001 (6) Abs. P 161.
Academic and research Awards
Dr. Frank Gunaseksera prize for best research paper in Community Medicine 124th Anniversary Academic Sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association, 2011
Presidential Research Award – 2010
Travel awards from National Science Foundation (NSF) and World Health Organization (WHO) - 2007
The Beverage Institute for Health and Wellness Scholarship- First World Congress of Public Health Nutrition, Barcelona, Spain - 2006
National consultative award- International Atomic Energy Authority (IAEA) - 2006
Gold Medal for Excellence in Veterinary Public Health – 2000
D. Seneviratne Memorial Award for Excellence in Veterinary Public Health –1999
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Food & Nutrition
Supervising & evaluating undergraduate and postgraduate research projects.
- Co-investigator, “Evaluation of inflammatory markers and Methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase 677C-T genotype in women with, or without coronary artery disease (CAD). Financial Support: National Science Foundation, Sri Lanka (RG/2007/HS/06), 2008 to 2011.
- Co-investigator, Development and validation of tools to aid portion size assessment in the Sri Lankan adolescent diet. January 2006 to date.
- Ph.D project - Folate and homocysteine in urban adolescent girls and women, and the effect of nutrition counselling on folate and homocysteine in women with and without CAD. Financial Support: IAEA, Vienna. 2004-2009.
Involvement in professional organizations
Treasurer Nutrition Society of Sri Lanka, 2009.
Council member Nutrition Society of Sri Lanka, 2008-2009.
Life Member of Nutrition Society of Sri Lanka.
Life Member of Sri Lanka Veterinary Association.
Member of the Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science.
Registered Veterinary Surgeon and Practitioner at Sri Lanka Veterinary Council, Reg. No. 1042, 2001 to date